INDIANAPOLIS (21Alive) – A 62-year-old semi-truck driver was arrested Friday after he hit a pickup truck in a construction zone on I-65, then took off from the scene.
Officers eventually caught up to Dragisa Cvetic and pulled him over.
Inside the semi they found three loaded handguns, none of which were registered, and two cases of beer.
Investigators say he didn't have a conceal-carry permit, and he had also been driving three hours over his federal allotted time.
He was arrested on a preliminary charge of possession of handguns in a vehicle without a permit.
Monday the Indiana State Police issued the following safety guidelines for construction zones:
1. PAY ATTENTION!! When you observe signs indicating a construction zone is ahead, prepare to reduce your speed to observe construction zone speed limits, make lane changes as directed by signage, and be alert for vehicles ahead of you slowing or stopping. Remember, back-ups can occur miles from the actual construction zone.
2. Make appropriate lane changes IMMEDIATELY upon seeing signs indicating a particular lane will be closed ahead. Although traffic will be moving slower, by observing this traffic control device immediately, bottle necks can be reduced or avoided thus reducing the likelihood of traffic coming to a complete stop.
3. As drivers enter a construction zone or construction zone back up, keep a significant distance between your vehicle and the vehicle ahead.
4. Watch traffic in your rearview mirror as it approaches from behind and be alert for possible escape routes ie, shoulder of the roadway, ditch, or median should vehicles approaching you from the rear appear as though the may not be slowing down or may not be able to stop before striking your vehicle in the rear end.
5. Be alert for workers in the construction zone and give them as much room as possible while traveling through the zone.
6. Avoid distracting behavior in construction zones. Stay off your cell phone, don’t look away at construction work, avoid eating or drinking while traveling through construction zones, and STAY ALERT!
What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "QUESTION OF THE DAY” comment.
© Copyright 2016, A Quincy Media broadcasting station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.