Accidental Causes Not Ruled Out In Belmont Avenue Warehouse Fire

By RTV6

Accidental Causes Not Ruled Out In Belmont Avenue Warehouse Fire

June 24, 2013 Updated Jan 9, 2014 at 2:21 PM EST

INDIANAPOLIS - Parts of the Indianapolis warehouse that burned earlier this month will be torn down as investigators keep working to determine what caused the fire.

Officials provided an update Monday morning on the June 15 fire on Belmont Avenue that roared through a 440,000-square-foot building.

Investigators have wrapped up processing the 10-acre scene, but they are still not sure what caused the fire that 150 firefighters spent hours fighting.

Officials said some accidental causes were ruled out, but there are other potential accidental causes that are being checked out.

Investigators found that the on-site sprinkler system did not activate as the fire began. Numerous interviews have been conducted, but officials said there are still more to do.

The property owner has seven days to comply with an emergency demolition order.




What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "QUESTION OF THE DAY” comment.

Want to be in the know for the next weather event, the next school closing or the next big breaking news story?

TextCaster alerts from 21Alive.com are your defining source for instant information delivered right to your cell phone and email. It's free, easy and instant. Sign-Up Now!

Powered by Summit City Chevrolet



© Copyright 2014, A Granite Broadcasting Station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.