Teen Nearly Dies After Consuming Too Much Of What?

Teen Nearly Dies After Consuming Too Much Of What?

June 10, 2013 Updated Jun 10, 2013 at 12:45 PM EST

A dare almost turned deadly for a 19-year-old.

According to a report from LiveScience, a report published earlier this month in the Journal of Emergency Medicines states that a 19-year-old was sent into a coma and nearly died after drinking a large quantity of soy sauce after being dared by friends.

The LiveScience report says the man is the first person knows to deliberately overdoes on a high amount of salt and survive with no lasting neurological problems, according to the doctors who treated his case in Virginia.

The man was suffering from a condition known as hypernatremia, which occurs when there is too much salt in the blood, and causes the brain to lost water.

The man suffered seizures after drinking the soy sauce and fell into a coma shortly thereafter.  The man woke up on his own after three days in a coma, according to the LiveScience report.

Read the entire report from LiveScience HERE.




What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "QUESTION OF THE DAY” comment.

Want to be in the know for the next weather event, the next school closing or the next big breaking news story?

TextCaster alerts from 21Alive.com are your defining source for instant information delivered right to your cell phone and email. It's free, easy and instant. Sign-Up Now!

Powered by Summit City Chevrolet



© Copyright 2014, A Granite Broadcasting Station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.