Minnesota Congresswoman Michele Bachmann, who ran an unsuccessful presidential campaign in 2012, announced Wednesday in a video posted on her website that she will not seek re-election for a fifth term, when her current term ends next year.
"After serious consideration, I am confident this is the right decision," Bachmann said in the video.
"Be assured, my decision was not in any way influenced by any concerns about my being re-elected to congress. I've always in the past defeated candidates who are capable, qualified and well-funded. And I have every confidence that if I ran, I would again defeat the individual who I defeated last year."
Watch Bachmann's announcement below
What the media is saying about Bachmann's decision
New York Times: Bachmann Won't Seek Re-election Next Year
Minneapolis Star Tribune: Michele Bachmann says she will not run for re-election
Minnesota Public Radio: Photos: Highlights from Michele Bachmann's political career
Follow what's being said about Bachmann's announcement on Twitter
Related external content
Visit Michele Bachmann's website HERE.
Visit Bachmann's congressional website HERE.
Visit Michele Bachmann's Twitter feed HERE.
Visit Michele Bachmann's Wikipedia page HERE.
What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "QUESTION OF THE DAY” comment.
© Copyright 2015, A Granite Broadcasting Station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.