COLUMBIA CITY, Ind. (www.incnow.tv) – A toddler is dead after he was found face down inside a swimming pool at a home in Columbia City.
According to DNR officials the two and a half-year-old boy’s grandmother found him. 21 Alive’s Stephanie Parkinson spoke briefly with a woman at the house, where it happened, on Wednesday. She was almost speechless and appeared to be in shock about what happened.
According to DNR officials, it was around 11:30 Tuesday morning when the 911 call came in that the young boy was found unresponsive in a swimming pool.
An officer with the DNR says the grandmother noticed the boy wasn't inside the house, she saw the back door open and ran outside to find the young boy in the pool.
He was pulled from the water right away and someone at the home was able to do CPR before an ambulance got there.
The boy was rushed to the hospital but died Tuesday evening. An autopsy Wednesday confirmed the boy did die as a result of drowning.
An officer with the DNR says this is a sad reminder of the safety precautions everyone should be taking when around water.
"The biggest step to avoiding a situation like that is to just keep the area secure, keep any gates locked, keep doors closed and locked that lead to those areas where the pools are, that would allow access for smaller children into those areas unsupervised like that," said Darren Reed, Indiana Conservation Officer, DNR.
Reed says it’s also important to make sure children wear life jackets and to just keep them in sight when around water.
What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "QUESTION OF THE DAY” comment.
© Copyright 2014, A Granite Broadcasting Station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.