FORT WAYNE, Ind. (21Alive) - On what is supposed to be one of the happiest nights of the year, flames ripped through a home on Fort Wayne’s Southeast side.
Natasha Mabane is a single mother who lives, off Lillie Street, with her 6-year-old son and 13-year-old daughter.
Around 9pm Tuesday night, she returned home after celebrating Christmas Eve with her father.
As she turned onto her street, she was shocked to see fire crews at her home.
“I couldn’t believe it was my house when I walked up. Last night before they put the boards up, I could see the wiring and metal in the walls,” said Mabane.
Mabane shares that she has been saving her paychecks to give her kids a Christmas they wouldn’t forget, but now all those presents are gone.
Emergency crews say the fire started from an extension cord, which was plugged into the family’s Christmas tree.
Clothes and shoes lay scattered on the lawn this afternoon, as the family quickly packed what little they could.
Red Cross provided the family with a hotel room for one night.
As if the fire isn’t enough to break anyone’s spirits, this mother has endured a very traumatic year.
Through tears, she explains, “I lost my son in September from a rare brain disease. He was only seven-years-old. I’m not mad at God. I know he’s going to make a way for me and my kids.”
She ends by saying, “it’s just a Christmas miracle that my children and I are safe.”
UPDATE: Donation arrangements have been made for the family with The Rescue Mission.
301 West Superior St.
Fort Wayne, IN 46855
The Rescue Mission is open 24/7. They will accept monetary donations, as well as any other items the family may need at this time. Tell them it is for Natasha Mabane. You can also tell them it is for the "Christmas Eve Fire" family.
What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "QUESTION OF THE DAY” comment.
© Copyright 2016, A Quincy Media broadcasting station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.