INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (21Alive) -- The family of a missing baby says they plan to organize their own search effort after police searches drew to a close Saturday.
Six-week-old Delano Wilson's family said they will begin their own search effort on Sunday at noon near the train tracks by the intersection of Oliver and Harding Streets.
Indiana State Police canceled the Amber Alert at the request of the IMPD on Friday just before 7:00 p.m., but officers said they will still investigate the disappearance.
The Amber Alert initially went out at about 9:00 p.m. Wednesday, eight hours after 23-year-old Willie Wilson told police his son had been taken by a man and woman who knocked him out in an alley near his home just west of downtown Indianapolis.
Family and community members gathered Saturday evening for a prayer vigil for the missing child.
"Every minute is critical and every second that he's gone gets harder and harder, but we're staying strong so we can get him back," said the child's great aunt Lethrice Hamilton. "This is a helpless baby. He can't speak for himself, he can't fend for himself, he can't pick up a phone or dial a number. He can't do anything, so it's up to us to do it for him."
What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "QUESTION OF THE DAY” comment.
© Copyright 2015, A Granite Broadcasting Station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.