Fire Destroys Mechanic Street Home (With Photos & Video)

By Brian Gillett
By Nina Settappa
By Eric Dutkiewicz


27 photos

Map: Downtown House Fire
41.075138 -85.159872

View larger map

January 24, 2013 Updated Nov 5, 2013 at 4:44 AM EDT

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (www.incnow.tv) - Fire officials say improperly disposed smoking materials caused a fire that destroyed a Fort Wayne home Thursday morning.

Around 8:30, the Fort Wayne Fire Department responded to a blaze at 118 Mechanic St. The home serves as two separate apartments.

Heavy flames engulfed the house, especially on the first floor. It took firefighters nearly an hour and a half to bring the fire under control.

No one was home at the time. Two cats were reported missing, and have not been found.

The house is considered a total loss.

What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "QUESTION OF THE DAY” comment.

© Copyright 2016, A Quincy Media broadcasting station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.