Marion Murder Victim Begged For Mercy: Court Affidavit

By Jeff Neumeyer

August 3, 2012 Updated Aug 3, 2012 at 6:42 PM EDT

Marion, Ind. (Indiana’s NewsCenter) - An 81-year old Marion man, slain in his own home last month, begged for his life, before two suspects killed him and made off with more than $100,000 worth of cash and valuables.

That information comes from a probable cause affidavit filed in the Grant County court system.

The document is a chilling read about a cold-blooded killing.

21-year old Lacy Bradley and 33-year old James Griffith of Rockford Ohio are awaiting extradition to face multiple charges in the beating death of 81-year old Duwayne Lindsey.

Court documents indicate Bradley and Griffith knew Lindsey was an avid coin collector and came to his residence in the early morning hours of July 21st, under the ruse that they wanted him to check out some old coins.

Once inside, the affidavit says Bradley struck Lindsey in the head with a hammer.

She told police as he lay on the floor, saying, “Please just let me live”, that Griffith showed no mercy, punching and stabbing him with a long knife and brass knuckles.

The papers say Griffith also slit Lindsey’s throat.

Bradley told officers they ransacked the place, stole cash, coins and guns, then drove to Fort Wayne to get a friend, Eddie Herring, before fleeing to Kentucky.

That’s where they purchased a van and motorcycle with the proceeds of the home invasion robbery.

The account of how the alleged killers were caught comes across like an episode of "World's Dumbest Criminals".

Kentucky State Police say the suspects pulled into a Frankfort gas station and approached troopers for driving directions.

The troopers in short order discovered expired tags, problems with fraudulent identification, as well as bottles of pills and marijuana.

Authorities say Lacy Bradley then started acting nervous and ignored verbal commands from police, before she lunged to grab her purse where there was a concealed handgun.

She was tased and taken into custody, but not before she head butted and kicked two arresting officers.

" And then her statement about her intentions to shoot us, you know, just let's you know that these individuals weren't willing to go peacefully," said Ron Turley, with Kentucky State Police.

The investigation also got a boost, when one of the guns found in the van matched a stolen weapons report from the Marion crime scene.

What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "QUESTION OF THE DAY” comment.

© Copyright 2016, A Quincy Media broadcasting station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.