FORT WAYNE, In. (www.incnow.tv) --- That winter storm has pushed its way into Indiana and the Fort Wayne and northeast Indiana area is getting its first big snow of the winter.
Road conditions throughout the Summit City are deteriorating. Our team of 21Alive Meteorologists estimate 2 to 4 inches of snow will cover parts of Fort Wayne by the time the snow ends tonight. Winds gusting to 25 and 30 miles per hour will cause blowing and drifting snow, which will make it harder for you to drive in these conditions. Our advice: stay at home.
The largest snowfall will impact an area south of US24 all the way to Indianapolis. In the counties south and southeast of Fort Wayne - Adams, Jay, Wells and Van Wert county in Ohio will see about 6 inches of snow. Huntington and Wabash Counties will see close to five inches of snow. Places like Indianapolis and Shelbyville can expect up to 11 inches of snow.
The Indiana Department of Homeland Security has posted a statewide travel advisory map, which can be found <a href=http://www.in.gov/dhs/files/travel-advisory-map>here</a>.
Other updates on the storm across the area:
- INDOT snow plow drivers working 12 hour shifts to clear roads - 9:00 A.M.
- Mercer County is under a Level One snow alert - 9:30 A.M.
- Fort Wayne Airport experiencing light snow and fog - 10 A.M.
- Simon Malls closes its shoppingn centers in central and east Indiana for the day - 10 A.M.
- Indy Airport struggling to keep one runway operational - 10:10 A.M.
- Southwest Indiana gets a foot of snow already - 10:30 A.M.
- Paoli Peaks Ski Resort near Bloomington open for business - 10:35 A.M.
- Marion reporting white-out conditions and over 1" of snow - 10:40 A.M.
- Hartford City and Jay County reporting 3" of snow - 10:45 A.M.
- Numerous slide-offs in Fort Wayne area on i-69 - 10:50 A.M.
- Car strikes utility pole at Stellhorn & Reed - 10:55 A.M.
- Semi slides off at I-469 at 25 MM - 11:10 A.M.
- Indy gets 3" of snow in one hour - 11:15 A.M.
- US 27 closed at 400 S, north of Berne due to crash - 11:25 A.M.
- Weather Service extends winter storm warning to 1 P.M. Thursday for Adams, Allen, Blackford, DeKalb, Huntington, Jay and Wells Counties - 11:50 A.M.
- Indiana Army and Air National Guard placed on stand-by for service due to blizzard conditions in part of the state - Noon
- US 27 County Road at 400 S., North of Berne is now reopened - 12:16 P.M.
- Blizzard warning for Indiana is lifted - 4:00 P.M.
What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "QUESTION OF THE DAY” comment.
© Copyright 2016, A Quincy Media broadcasting station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.