Fourth Police-Action Shooting Leaves One Dead (NBC33 VIDEO)

By Eric DeFreeuw

May 2, 2013 Updated May 2, 2013 at 7:04 PM EDT

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (www.nbc33.com) – Yet another police-involved shooting early Thursday morning on the city’s north side leaves one man dead.

At roughly 8:20am police were dispatched to a home for what was originally believed to be a domestic disturbance. Once they got there however they found a man with suicidal tendencies all drugged up.

Neighbors compared what happened to the normally peaceful 7700 block of Weymouth Court to a war zone. Sitting in her kitchen just down the street Margaret Schenkel heard what she first thought were fireworks. What she didn't realize was what she was really hearing was her 22-year old neighbor in a shoot out with police.

“There seems to be a lot of that lately – people just going off the deep end. Especially here in town since the end of the year. It’s just crazy.”

The suspect's parents called 911 saying their son had taken some kind of drug and was claiming to be Jesus Christ the Savior, threatening to kill anyone he saw. Once police officers arrived and entered the home the suspect opened fire, even following them outside shooting at any officer he saw.

Police say the suspect then jumped in a car and tried to run the officers over. The suspect continued firing at will, spraying nearby homes with bullets. He then drove down the street, pulled in a nearby driveway, and used the vehicle as a shield as he shot at four officers. He was finally shot and killed by two officers.

Fort Wayne Police Chief Rusty York described the danger had the shoot-out carried on much longer.

“As I understand there might have even been garage sales going on in the neighborhood so a very dangerous situation in the immediate vicinity but if this individual would have escaped this area it would have been much more significant we feel.”

As is protocol, Indiana State Police will investigate the fourth police-action shooting Fort Wayne has seen in the past four months – and the second in the past week. A statistic Chief York says he’s never seen.

Mayor Tom Henry issued a statement immediately following the shooting which acknowledged the problems Fort Wayne has faced of late, yet offered reassurance that public safety is still a top priority of his administration.

What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "QUESTION OF THE DAY” comment.

© Copyright 2016, A Quincy Media broadcasting station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.