FORT WAYNE, Ind. (21Alive) – Fort Wayne Community Schools took extra security measures Tuesday after an elementary school bus was shot at.
Someone shot out the window of a bus from South Wayne Elementary School, 810 Cottage Ave., between 4 and 4:30 p.m., according to Krista Stockman of Fort Wayne Community Schools.
The bus was waiting to pick students up, Stockman says, but no students were on the bus. The driver was on the bus, but not injured.
The bus was not the target of the shooting, Stockman adds.
South Wayne principal Brenda West sent a letter home with students on Wednesday to notify parents. A South Wayne parent provided 21Alive with the letter.
“There have been no direct threats toward the school,” West said in the letter. “But when such incidents occur in the neighborhood, we will take take all necessary steps to maintain a safe environment in our building.” (Read the entire letter)
West wrote that students were kept inside for recess for precautionary reasons, and extra supervision of students was part of dismissal.
A staff member reported hearing gunshots in the area earlier in the day, according to the letter, the letter states.
The school plans to work with police to determine what extra security measures may be needed going forward.
Anyone with concerns about their child's safety is asked to call South Wayne Elementary School and speak with West
Full Letter from South Wayne Principal Brenda West
"April 17, 2014
"I am writing to let you know about a situation that occurred yesterday and steps we have taken to
ensure student and staff safety.
"Tuesday afternoon, a window on one of our buses was shot out. There were no students on the
bus at the time of the incident, and the bus driver was not injured. This occurred after a staff
member thought they also heard gun shots earlier in the day in the neighborhood. At dismissal,
we took extreme caution in making sure extra supervision was present.
"There have been no direct threats toward the school, but when such incidents occur in the
neighborhood, we will take all necessary steps to maintain a safe environment in our building.
Today, we had additional police presence around the building and maintained security personnel
in the building the entire day. We also kept students inside for recess out of an abundance of
caution. We will continue to work closely with police to determine if these extraordinary
measures need to continue.
"As always, the safety of your children is our top priority. Please take this opportunity to remind
your children to be alert while walking to and from school and to tell an adult if they see or hear
something that causes them to feel unsafe.
"If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me at 467-8100.
What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "QUESTION OF THE DAY” comment.
© Copyright 2014, A Granite Broadcasting Station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.