Woman Tells Of Son's Near Death Experience With Bathing Product

By Jeff Neumeyer

June 9, 2011 Updated Jun 9, 2011 at 6:09 PM EDT

ALLEN COUNTY, IN (Indiana's NewsCenter) --- Like a powerful hallucinogenic, they can cause suicidal thoughts.

We’re talking about a dangerous drug catching on, which is perfectly legal for sale in Indiana, even though it can be deadly.

Just ask an Allen County woman whose son came to the edge of death, by snorting so-called 'Bath Salts.'

We've done lots of stories on K-2; a substance smoked by teens that Indiana lawmakers outlawed earlier this year.

Now, a new drug menace is storming the nation, causing states to consider banning the product’s legal sale.

Users can snort, inject or smoke powders found in the bath salt jars, feeling effects similar to abuse of methamphetamine.

Teri Scott's son snorted bath salts he purchased legally this week-end at a gas station, and then got sick and headed to the emergency room.

Scott says he developed hives all over his body.

He told his mom it felt like he was losing his mind.

Scott is close to losing her cool over the fact bath salt sales are basically unregulated here in Indiana.

Teri Scott/Son Snorted Bath Salts: " I'm furious that this is being sold over the counter and it's destroying people, it's destroying families."

Medical experts say experimenting with bath salts is risky business.

Users often see increased heart rates, and blood pressure, inability to sleep or eat right, and they can become paranoid.

Authorities say a 21-year old man from Louisiana cut his own throat and ended his life with a gunshot after using the stuff.

Louisiana has since outlawed bath salt sales.

Other states are looking to follow suit, hoping to slow the terrible consequences that are popping up around the nation.

What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "QUESTION OF THE DAY” comment.

© Copyright 2016, A Quincy Media broadcasting station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.