Three Charged with Child Neglect Head to Court

By Megan Trent

October 5, 2011 Updated Oct 5, 2011 at 6:40 PM EDT

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (Indiana's NewsCenter) - A man, his sister, and his girlfriend are headed to court after being charged with neglecting two small children.

On September 14, 2010, Shanna Vorndran took her young son to a local emergency room with an injury to his left leg. Court reports indicate the child had a spiral fracture and needed surgery.

Vorndran allegedly told doctors that her son had fallen out of his playpen the day before. However, the circumstances lead the Department of Child Services to look into the claim.

At the time, Vorndran and her children were living with her boyfriend, Michael Combs. They had lived with him for around three weeks when Vorndran's son fractured his leg. Combs' sister, Anna Hogan, and her children also lived at the Fort Wayne residence.

According to court documents, Combs and Hogan were responsible for watching the children when Vorndran was at work. Hogan was also paid to watch the children by herself when Combs and Vorndran went out or Vorndran was working at a local Wendy's.

On September 15, 2010, the Department of Child Services went to Combs' home. It was on that day that investigators saw Vorndran's other son, who was still in diapers, covered in bruises from head to toe. The bruises, according to reports, were in different stages of healing.

Investigators also discovered fresh blood in the toddler's diaper and requested a physical exam. Upon examination, a nurse reported that it is her belief the toddler suffered blunt force trauma to his anal opening. There were three injuries - two healed and one fresh.

The same nurse also reported that the toddler suffered from 73 separate injuries to his body. The injuries allegedly covered his entire body from head to toe. She said that often times, "children with this many injuries are in the morgue."

According to prior medical records, the child was healthy until moving in with Combs and Hogan. The nurse's report after examining the child says it's likely the child was injured within 7 to 10 days before being removed from Combs' home by DCS.

Upon talking with investigators, Combs allegedly admitted to being home on September 13th. That is the day Vorndran's son allegedly fell from his playpen.

Hogan also allegedly t old investigators that Combs had called her on September 9, 2010, and told her about the other child's rectal bleeding.

A witness also allegedly told police that she saw Combs hit one of the children so hard for refusing to go to the bathroom that it left a knot on the boy's head. Combs allegedly told the witness that was the only way the little boy would learn.

Combs is charged with two counts of neglect of a dependent and one count of battery. Hogan and Vorndran are each charged with two counts of neglect of a dependent.

Combs will head to trail on October 11th. Hogan was in court Wednesday, October 5th. Her trial has been scheduled for January 10th and 11th. Vorndran will return to court for a hearing on October 13th.

What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "QUESTION OF THE DAY” comment.

© Copyright 2016, A Quincy Media broadcasting station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.