Tax Professionals Will Require Certification For 2011

By Scott Sarvay

December 23, 2010 Updated Dec 23, 2010 at 1:28 PM EDT

UNDATED (Indiana’s NewsCenter) - The people you hire to work on your income taxes in 2011 will have to satisfy new training and licensing requirements before they can sign that return.

For the first time, professional tax preparers will have to meet educational requirements and pay licensing fees to qualify for a prepare tax identification number.

That even applies to folks who do the work part-time during the tax season.

The goal is to better protect consumers.

CPA, Cindy Wirtner of Leonard J. Andorfer & Co., LLP says, “Like any other profession, you do have people out there who are not as skilled or as well trained, or quite frankly, disregard the rules."

Wirtner says people racking up business mileage on their cars will be able to claim 51-cents a mile instead of 50-cents in filing this year.

It won't effect your return, but Wirtner says people with a job will see a nice reduction in Social Security taxes taken out of their paychecks in 2011.

What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "QUESTION OF THE DAY” comment.

© Copyright 2016, A Quincy Media broadcasting station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.