FORT WAYNE, IN (Indiana's NewsCenter) --- Disaster is averted when a heavily armed suspect surrenders to Fort Wayne police at the end of a six-hour standoff.
The situation had the potential to turn violent, but it ended with a peaceful surrender and nobody badly hurt, thanks, in large part, to police negotiators and SWAT team members.
It took place Tuesday in the 2600 block of Merivale Street on Fort Wayne’s north side.
The incident came to a conclusion before 8 a.m., when 28-year old Justin Tang gave up without a fight.
Police were summoned to his home around two a.m. by Tang himself, whom we’re told has a background in the military reserves.
Tang reported a domestic disturbance, said that he had a number of weapons on hand, and he was apparently threatening suicide.
Two hours into a standoff, Tang's wife fled the home and was taken to a hospital for treatment of undisclosed injuries.
Then SWAT team members snuck in at one point and got the couple's two-year old safely out of the house.
The eventual surrender of Tang followed lots of telephone communication with negotiators.
Officer Raquel Foster/Fort Wayne Police Department: " The red flags are when there's absolutely no communication. It’s good when you've got someone on the phone and you're talking with them, and you can hear the tension in their voice, how calm they are, or how calm they aren't."
The incident impacted a couple of schools in the area.
Authorities delayed the start of school at Concordia Lutheran High School, and at Holy Cross Elementary School, until the standoff was resolved.
Tang was taken in for psychological analysis following his arrest.
But no charges had been filed by late Tuesday afternoon.
What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "QUESTION OF THE DAY” comment.
© Copyright 2016, A Quincy Media broadcasting station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.