Shooting Victim's Name Released, Condition Upgraded

By Peter Ambrose
By Scott Sarvay
By Laura Donaldson

July 13, 2010 Updated Jul 13, 2010 at 6:18 PM EDT

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (Indiana’s NewsCenter) - A Fort Wayne man has been upgraded to serious condition after being shot near downtown Fort Wayne overnight.

Investigators say 23-year-old Joseph Golden was shot during an incident outside the Sports and Spirits Bar at East Wayne and South Anthony around 1:45 a.m.

Police say they were initially called to the bar because several people were waiving guns outside the facility. Once on scene, officers learned Golden had shown up at the hospital in critical condition with a gunshot wound.

Police tracked down the suspects involved and have interviewed everyone about the shooting.

The Sports and Spirits' Bar owner says he's been a good neighbor, and this is unusual behavior. But neighbors say there have always been problems at the bar.

“It does not surprise me that they’re having problems with people getting shot down there with the activities that go on down there at that bar,” neighbor Kerri Packer said.

“It terrifies me all the time,” concerned neighbor Christine Magana said. “I see them, I can hear the commotion of the fights and all that. But we call the cops all the time but what can we do?”

“Now that we've had something happen, we'll definitely step up patrols in the area to make sure that there is nothing more that is going to happen in that area, or retaliation or anything of that nature,” Fort Wayne Police Officer Roy Sutphin said.

“Four houses away people live with families,” Packer said. “The woman that lives across the street from us has nine children and I have five. There are people around here that have families and this bar across the street seems like it's bringing down the value of the community and of our family's life that we should have.”

“There's nothing that indicates to us that this is a hot spot or anything,” Sutphin said. “It’s just an unfortunate incident at this period of time.”

No suspects have been identified. No arrests have been made. Police say they’ll continue to investigate.

What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "QUESTION OF THE DAY” comment.

© Copyright 2016, A Quincy Media broadcasting station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.