COLUMBIA CITY, Ind. (www.incnow.tv) -- Columbia City residents have been asked to turn off air conditioners after a chemical fire began at C&R Plating Corporation.
5:45 p.m. - Mayor Ryan Daniel, R-Columbia City, says residents are "in no danger of additional fume damage or physical harm." One employee at C&R Plating was treated for fume inhalation and multiple police officers and firefighters were treated for a burning sensation on their skin due to the fumes, Daniel says.
3:44 p.m. - The Whitley County Sheriff's Department says the all clear has been given. The situation has been neutralized. All evacuated parties may return home.
3:28 p.m. - Spokesperson with City Hall advises that the immediate area surrounding the plant is being evacuated (about a 3-4 block radius). All others in the area are advised to stay indoors with AC off and windows closed as the gas is hazardous.
2:53 p.m. - Wind blowing Southeast causing concern for residents south of the plant. Residents alerted to keep windows closed and AC off. Gas smell has a rotten egg scent.
2:30 p.m. – Residents south of Market St. between Chauncey St. and Walnut St. being asked to shut off air conditioners and keep windows closed. We have learned that Hydrogen Sulfide is the cause of the chemical fire and that water can not be used to put it out.
2:00 p.m. – Residents in the area being evacuated. At least a 5 block radius has been cordoned off.
1:59 p.m. – Residents asked to turn of air conditioning units. Fort Wayne Fire Department called in for mutual aid.
1:01 p.m. – South Line St. closed due to chemical fire at 302 Factory Ave.
What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "QUESTION OF THE DAY” comment.
© Copyright 2016, A Quincy Media broadcasting station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.