Prosecutors Say Pattison Exchanged 100+ Messages With Mistress Day of Wife's Death

By Megan Trent

October 28, 2010 Updated Oct 28, 2010 at 8:02 PM EDT

WABASH, Ind. (Indiana's NewsCenter) - The teenage son of Lisa Pattison took the stand in the Scott Pattison murder trial today.

Dylan McCoy, Scott Pattison's 19-year-old step-son, was only 15 days away from his 18th birthday when his mother passed away. Now a freshman at Virginia Tech, McCoy said he was able to tell his mother goodbye and that he loved her on the day of her death, July 2, 2009.

He said his mother was wearing sweat pants when he last saw her working on her computer in her bedroom, but that wasn't uncommon while she wasn't at work.

McCoy testified that on that day he and his step-father were doing construction in Swayzee when Scott Pattison left without explanation 30 to 45 minutes after arriving. McCoy said he took a lunch break around 11:30 or 12, and while at the restaurant got a message to call his step-father. McCoy testified that Scott Pattison told him to go to the hospital immediately, but it wasn't until McCoy got there that he learned of his mother's death.

"I fell to my knees. I was lost. I was confused," McCoy said looking at either jurors, the judge, or lawyers. His glance rarely turned to his step-father of 13 years, Scott Pattison, while on the stand.

McCoy said he had to identify his mother's body. "It was hard for me to look at her," he said. He testified that he asked his step-father what had happened, and Pattison replied that he had found the weight bar across her throat.

That night McCoy said he spent the night with a friend. In fact, he said he never again spent the night in the home his mother died in. The next day he said Scott Pattison asked him to go over to his grandmother's (Scott's mother) to make funeral arrangements. When McCoy arrived, he said his step-father was looking at news blogs about Lisa Pattison's death.

A suspenseful part of the testimony came when McCoy said he asked to talk to his step-father one-on-one while at his grandmother's home. He said he told him something his mother had told him a few days prior. "What I told him shocked him," McCoy said, but just as the words came out of his mouth, lawyers for the defense objected and jurors were never able to hear the alleged statement.

Pattison has claimed he found his wife unresponsive on a work bench with a weighted bar across her throat, but today McCoy testified that he only saw his mother use the bench once before and with Scott Pattison present. He also said he never saw the weight bench's safety features being used.

McCoy also said that he once witnessed his step-father push his mother down during an argument and said, "I fully believe they were on the verge of getting a divorce."

Defense lawyers, however, pointed out a few alleged inconsistencies between statements made by McCoy today compared to right after his mother's death. Initially he told investigators that Scott Pattison did not tell him what time he got home on July 2nd, but today he told jurors his step-father told him around 11:30 a.m. When questioned about the varied statements, McCoy said he honestly believes his step-father stated that arrived home around 11:30, made some phone calls, heard the music downstairs, and then went downstairs where he found Lisa Pattison unresponsive.

McCoy said his step-father tried to get custody of him, but the judge allowed McCoy to chose to live with his Aunt and Uncle in Virginia instead. "It was the hardest decision of my life," McCoy said of leaving before his senior year in high school.

The teen also testified about neck pain from a car accident that his mother had, and how much weight she could lift. McCoy also discussed Scott Pattison's neck and back pain from falling off a roof while doing construction. He said his step-father was a former body builder and would sometimes use the weight bench. "I've never seen her by herself in the basement bench pressing. Never," McCoy testified.

McCoy also testified about the his step-father's alleged affair. He said Scott Pattison would often walk away to take private calls and that his mother and step-father often slept in different rooms. Pattison's defense lawyers alluded that might have been because the couch helped ease Lisa Pattison's neck pain.

Prosecutors were also able to get in evidence that Scott Pattison exchanged text messages with the woman he was allegedly having an affair with more than one hundred times on the day of Lisa Pattison's death. McCoy said at the time he thought the affair was over. He called the communication between his step-father and alleged mistress "sickening."

The day ended with Wabash County's Sheriff Striker about a civil matter on December 31, 2008 in which Scott Pattison was concerned about having property or his business taken away from him. Striker said he was called to mediate, but left after only 10 minutes. Striker said he took McCoy to a friend's house to spend the night.

Indiana's NewsCenter will continue to cover this fascinating trial and keep you apprised of all the latest details and developments.

What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "QUESTION OF THE DAY” comment.

© Copyright 2016, A Quincy Media broadcasting station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.