Mother Admits To Killing Toddler, Concealing Body For 13 Months

By Maureen Mespell
By Peter Ambrose
By Scott Sarvay
By Nicole Hahn
By Jeff Neumeyer

December 21, 2010 Updated Dec 21, 2010 at 7:19 PM EDT

FORT WAYNE, IN (Indiana's NewsCenter) --- Concealing a dead child for more than a year.

Fort Wayne Police say Latisha Lawson confessed to doing that very thing to her own son, telling officers early Tuesday that the boy is with God now.

It’s a bizarre story that quickly went from a missing persons report to a homicide investigation.

Latisha Lawson appeared in court Tuesday, accused preliminarily with felony child neglect.

But clearly that charge could be stepped up to something much more serious.

The 31-year old Lawson is being held in the Allen County Jail on $25,000 bond.

Court records indicate a woman called police Monday, saying Lawson had wrapped the body of her dead son Jesaih King in a blanket and placed it in a closet.

About eight hours later, after police aired a missing person report on late night television newscasts in the Fort Wayne market, police got a tip leading them to a house in the 1300 block of Wabash, where they found Lawson and her ten-year old daughter Kierra King.

During questioning, police claim Lawson admitted to killing her son in November 2009, saying "JK" upset her because she couldn't take his temper tantrums.

She said she gave him olive oil and vinegar until he stopped breathing.

Police obtained consent to search the house and found the child's remains in a tote in a bedroom.

Officer Raquel Foster/Fort Wayne Police Department: " It appeared that that child had been deceased for some time, so, it does appear that she had been carrying the remains of that child with her."

Bobbie Piper/Next Door Neighbor: " I just don't know what's been going on, because they just moved over here about two months ago, and we only knew of the daughter, we never knew about the son."

The ten-year old daughter was transported to police headquarters at the time Latisha Lawson was brought in for questioning.

It’s still unclear how the little boy could have been missing for 13 months and nobody got suspicious enough to notify police.

Officer Foster says close relatives had not seen Lawson or her daughter for a couple of months, but why no one reported potential trouble with Jesaih King is a big mystery.

What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "QUESTION OF THE DAY” comment.

© Copyright 2016, A Quincy Media broadcasting station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.