Missing Butler Girl Found Safe But With Registered Sex Offender

By Maureen Mespell
By John W. Davis

October 28, 2011 Updated Oct 23, 2013 at 9:23 PM EDT

BUTLER, Ind. (Indiana's NewsCenter) -- According to Butler Police Chief Jim Nichols,17-year-old Nita Killian has been found alive in Florence, Kentucky safe and unharmed.

Killian was found with 26-year-old Bradley Magiera, a registered sex offender who is now in police custody.

Magiera will likely face charges after he is taken back to Michigan.

Chief Nichols said numerous law agencies worked together to find Killian.

Indiana's NewsCenter was inside the Butler Police Station when Nichols announced the good news.

Killian had been missing since October 6.

Investigators said the Eastside High School Junior skipped school and took off with Bradley Magiera.

Officers said Magiera stole a vehicle on October 6 as well, but OnStar was able to disable it. No one was with the vehicle when authorities arrived.

At this time, investigators are not exactly sure how they made it Florence, Kentucky.

During the 22 days that Killian was gone, police said she could have been in extreme danger because Magiera is a convicted sex offender.

Tips pointed police to look for Killian and Magiera out of state.

That's how officers ended up finding Killian and arresting Magiera in Florence, Kentucky, which is located just outside of Cincinnati, which is more than 200 miles from Butler, Indiana.

Chief Nichols said the hundreds, possibly thousands of hours spent searching for the 17-year-old were well worth it.

"It's just a fantastic feeling. Anytime something like this happens you always have to take in consideration the things that can possible have happened. And to bring about a resolution, a closing to this case, and find out that she's safe and unharmed is just fantastic news," Nichols explained.

Indiana's NewsCenter reached out to Nita's mom but she was too emotional for an interview.

However, the entire family is very happy to hear that she is safe and they are anxious to be reunited with her.

A $2,000 reward was offered for her safe return.

What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "QUESTION OF THE DAY” comment.

© Copyright 2016, A Quincy Media broadcasting station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.