Lit Candle Left Unattended Destroys Home (VIDEO & PHOTOS)

By David Wheaton

December 26, 2013 Updated Dec 26, 2013 at 12:10 PM EST

NEW HAVEN, Ind. (21Alive) -- A candle left lit and unattended has completely destroyed a New Haven home.

At just after 1 a.m. Thursday New Haven Fire Department received a call for help at a home on Meter Dr. just off of Moeller Rd. When crews got there, the fire was already well underway. The bone chilling temperatures and high winds were so bad they called for a second alarm from fire crews out of Woodburn.

One firefighter was hurt trying to get the blaze out and had to be taken to the hospital with minor injuries.

What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "QUESTION OF THE DAY” comment.

Want to be in the know for the next weather event, the next school closing or the next big breaking news story?

TextCaster alerts from 21Alive.com are your defining source for instant information delivered right to your cell phone and email. It's free, easy and instant. Sign-Up Now!

Powered by Summit City Chevrolet

© Copyright 2015, A Granite Broadcasting Station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.