Fatal Fire Ruled As Accidental

By Peter Ambrose
By Scott Sarvay
By Krystal Shull

January 9, 2011 Updated Jan 10, 2011 at 1:16 PM EDT

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (Indiana's NewsCenter) - The Fort Wayne Fire Department classifies the fire that killed Kelly Tomasi as accidental. The Investigation Division determined the fire originated from unattended cooking materials left on the stove.

The blaze started shortly before 3 am at a home in the 2500 block of Wells Street. Two of the homes occupants were able to escape but 43-year-old Kelly Tomasi did not .

Her 16-year-old son was a hero that night, saving his ten-year-old sister. He tried to go back inside the front door to find his screaming mother but was burned when the intense flames kept him from reaching her.

As firefighters worked to extinguish the fire, they found Tomasi and pulled her out.

Family members told Indiana's NewsCenter at Tomasi's memorial on Friday, despite such a difficult time for them, they wanted to thank Fort Wayne Firefighters for their help.

On Saturday, January 29th, a fundraiser for the children will be put on by the Mimi Burns Band. It's scheduled for 7 pm at C2G Music Hall at 323 West Baker Street.

What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "QUESTION OF THE DAY” comment.

© Copyright 2016, A Quincy Media broadcasting station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.