Families Evacuated Due to Fire

By Max Resnik

October 30, 2011 Updated Oct 30, 2011 at 6:27 PM EDT

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (Indiana’s NewsCenter) – Homes near the Main Steet and Leesburg Road intersection were evacuated shortly before 1 p.m. as a result of the fire at Momper Insulation.

Jeremy Crider was evacuated from his home as he heard pounding at the door from a member of the Fort Wayne Police Department. He and his dog quickly evacuated. At about the same time, Amy Fedac was returning home with the couple’s infant daughter who badly needed her oxygen equipment in order to sleep. As a result of a premature birth, Amy and Jeremy’s daughter cannot sleep without the help of the oxygen.

Amy says that as soon as she returned to what was now a blocked entrance to her home, she told Jeremy they needed the oxygen equipment.

"When I got home I needed him to go get her oxygen because she needs it to sleep, so that's where I came in and got him and he ran and got the oxygen."

Jeremy says it took some pleading with officers before he could safely run to his home and come back with the oxygen.

“I just had to talk to him, and he tried to get clearance several times but eventually he just ended up letting me go."

Others were evacuated today like Dymani Johnson who said he feared the toxic fumes.

“I was concerned that the fire was so close to our house. Not breathing in the fumes was a concern because we have some pets in the house that we were concerned about getting out. We’re kind of waiting to get the okay to go back and make sure out pets are alright.”

One Fort Wayne Police Officer blocking the intersection near Leesburg and Main said he or other officers could be stationed there through the night.

What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "QUESTION OF THE DAY” comment.

© Copyright 2016, A Quincy Media broadcasting station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.