Fire Destroys Mechanic Street Home (With Photos & Video)

By Brian Gillett
By Nina Settappa
By Eric Dutkiewicz


27 photos

Map: Downtown House Fire
41.075138 -85.159872

View larger map

January 24, 2013 Updated Nov 5, 2013 at 4:44 AM EDT

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (www.incnow.tv) - Fire officials say improperly disposed smoking materials caused a fire that destroyed a Fort Wayne home Thursday morning.

Around 8:30, the Fort Wayne Fire Department responded to a blaze at 118 Mechanic St. The home serves as two separate apartments.

Heavy flames engulfed the house, especially on the first floor. It took firefighters nearly an hour and a half to bring the fire under control.

No one was home at the time. Two cats were reported missing, and have not been found.

The house is considered a total loss.

What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "QUESTION OF THE DAY” comment.

© Copyright 2016, A Quincy Media broadcasting station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.