Do You Have The Right Policy? Knowing What Insurance Covers After a Flood

By Stephanie Parkinson

June 3, 2013 Updated Jun 3, 2013 at 6:23 PM EDT

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (www.incnow.tv) – Several people in Fort Wayne are trying to get back on their feet after flooding over the weekend.

When flood waters strike renters’ and homeowners’ insurance policies generally do not cover the damage. But adding flood insurance would cover damage brought on by flood waters from the storms over the weekend.

Many people who live in the Black Bear Creek apartment complex have lost almost everything they own.

A local insurance agent admits many renters simply don't get flood policies. For people who live in areas that are more prone to flooding they can often get FEMA flood insurance. For those who live in low risk areas flood insurance is often not something they think about.

Insurance companies are also very specific when it comes to what is classified for coverage in a flood policy and a renter’s/homeowner’s policy.

"You've got a couple different issues. Flooding is water running off the ground into the house. Okay, so that would be flooding. And then some people have, they don't have flooding, in other words where the water is running off the ground and into the house, they have like sub-service water drains that are backing up - sump pumps and those types of things. So that's not flood insurance, that's the homeowner's insurance," said John Carr, State Farm Insurance Agent.

When it comes to covering any vehicle that could be parked outside when flood waters strike that coverage is part of the automobile policy. Carr says often times the basic policies don’t cover floods but the comprehensive policies do.

What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "QUESTION OF THE DAY” comment.

© Copyright 2016, A Quincy Media broadcasting station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.