City Opens Additional Debris Dump Sites

By Rachel Martin

July 1, 2012 Updated Jul 1, 2012 at 5:45 PM EDT

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (Indiana’s NewsCenter) – The City of Fort Wayne opened three other dump sites for fallen tree branches Sunday.

Fort Wayne Mayor Tom Henry says clean-up from Friday’s storm could take three to four months. Many people in the area have already begun cleaning up, but once all those branches and debris are collected, where can they go?

Keith Suttle is a firefighter in Fort Wayne. Sunday, he made several trips to the Biosolids Handling Facility, 6210 Lake Ave., dropping off truckloads of tree branches. “Just got off work, got to go home and do more work. [It was a] Busy day yesterday at work and even busier at home,” he said.

Greg Hughes says he made a couple of trips the day before, and has a few more to go. “Just trying to get stuff cleared away and hauled away. What can you do? Just got to laugh it off, that's it,” he chuckled.

David and Laura Bash are doing just that. They arrived in Fort Wayne from Moncks Corner, S.C. for a graduation party an hour before the storm hit on Friday. They’ve spent most of their trip making trips, dropping off fallen tree branches.

“Not the best [trip], but we're all together and everybody's okay,” said David with a smile.

Their party was at Laura’s sister’s, Linda's Schroeder, house. Schroeder says 100 people were invited to her daughter’s graduation party, but only about half showed up. Schroeder and the Bashes also have family in Pauling, Ohio, where the storm did substantial damage.

“We still had a good time, but now it's clean-up,” said Schroeder. “We got it all chain-sawed up and out of the driveway so company could come in Friday. That probably took us three hours, and now we've started today, probably for two [hours]. We've got another, probably, six or eight to go.”

“In South Carolina we have hurricanes and everything else, so we're used to folks coming down and helping us out,” said David. “So it's kind of nice to be able to come up here and give some assistance to our friends and family in the North.”

John Clark, Deputy Director for Fort Wayne Utilities, says 370 people dumped their branches Saturday, and he expects around the same number Sunday. Due to the large volume, Clark says the hours have been extended, and the $1 charge dropped.

“We're staying open until 9:00 at night. We usually close at 6:00. We're going stay open those hours until clear to the end of the week. Then we'll see, take another look at it at that point and decide. If it's not staying loaded, then we'll drop back,” said Clark.

Additional drop-off sites have been opened: the parking lot by Swinney Park pool, the parking lot by the Tillman Rd. entrance of Tillman Park, and at the Conklin Pavilion in Shoaff Park. Sites will be only be open from 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. on July 4. The City of Fort Wayne will be doing curb-side pickups of debris beginning Tuesday.

What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "QUESTION OF THE DAY” comment.

© Copyright 2016, A Quincy Media broadcasting station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.