UNITED STATES (www.incnow.tv) -- Last year the "Cinnamon Challenge" went viral, with more than 50,000 videos on YouTube depicting coughing teens trying to eat a spoonful of the spice. But this stunt can be dangerous, especially if cinnamon is inhaled.
A new study in the Journal Pediatrics reports dozens of teens needed emergency care in 2012 after attempting the challenge, arriving at the ER with trouble breathing or having choked on cinnamon.
Some had been hospitalized with collapsed lungs. There were also nearly 200 calls to poison control centers related to the challenge.
While the fad is fading, researchers say there are still videos of teens attempting the challenge being posted daily and they warn doctors and parents to tell the teens in their lives of the dangers.
What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "QUESTION OF THE DAY” comment.
© Copyright 2014, A Granite Broadcasting Station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.