Boston Bombing Suspects' Backgrounds

By Emma Koch

Credit: ABC News

Boston Bombing Suspects' Backgrounds

April 22, 2013 Updated Apr 22, 2013 at 11:12 AM EDT

BOSTON, Ind. (www.incnow.tv) -- One week after the deadly bombs exploded at the Boston Marathon, much more is being learned about the two brothers who are suspects in the crime and their backgrounds.

After the FBI released photos of the two suspects Thursday evening, the national media hurried to identify and investigate the two brothers. All that was known at the time the photos were released was that they were both suspects. The nation learned later that they were brothers, 19 and 26 years old, born in a warring Russians region.

Both the father and the mother spoke with ABC News on Friday about their sons. After an early Friday morning shootout with police, the eldest son, Tamerlan Tsarnaev was pronounced dead. In an exclusive interview with ABC News, the father, Anzor Tsarnaev, advised his 19-year-old son Dzhokhar Tsarnaev to "surrender peacefully". He then warned that if Dzhokhar was killed "all hell will break loose".

Anzor and the mother of the men, spoke with thier sons after the bombing. Anzor told ABC News that his sons told him they weren't even at the marathon. Their mother, Zubeidat Tsarnaeva, said she spoke with Tamerlan early Friday morning before the shootout with police. He told her "the police, they have started shooting at us, they are chasing us" then ended the conversation with "Mama, I love you."

During the manhunt for Dzhokhar Friday, members of the family spoke out to the media with different reactions to the news of the men being suspected of terroism and the heinous bombings of the Boston Marathon.

Ruslan Tsarni, the men's uncle said "of course we're ashamed. Yes, we're ashamed" and called the two men "losers". Their aunt, who lives in Canada, was more suspicious of the investigation and could not believe that her nephews could have been responsible for the crimes and asked officials to "convince me".

Monday morning ABC News is reporting that the history of the family is a "twisted one". The suspects' aunt, Patemat Sulemanova, recounted the complex family history involving deportation by Soviet leader Josef Stalin, two Chechen war and a severe beting in the U.S. that ultimately brought the suspects' father back to Russia.

The suspects were young when they bounced between homes, dodging conflicts and ultimately settling in the U.S. as refugees. During WWII, Stalin considered Chechens to be disloyal and expelled many Chechen families from the region. The father's side of the family was amoung these families and settled in Kyrgyzstan, a part of the Soviet Union. The father, Anzor, was born in raised in this region.

Anzor and his wife, Zubeidat, were married and gave birth to their four children (2 boys and 2 girls) in Kyrgyzstan. In 1994, the couple moved their family back to Chechnya after the collapse of the Soviet Union. Soon after, the bloody war that broke out in Chechnya caused the family to turn around and flee back to Kyrgyzstan. A few years later, the family moved back to Chechnya but left again after another war broke out in 1999.

By 2002, the family moved to Dagestan, where their mother was from originally, and stayed for sic months before obtaining refugee status and coming to the United States.

The parents would come back to Dagestan from time to time but the children remained in the U.S. Tamerlan had visited for the first time last year. His six-month stay has raised eyebrows among investigators looking into how and why he is suspected of becoming radicalized. Dzhokhar, the younger son who was taken alive Friday, was planning to visit Dagestan for the first time in May, the aunt said.

The parents bought an apartment in Makhachkala, the Dagestani capital, with the hopes that their children would stay there whenever they visited.

A few years ago -- the aunt did not recall exactly when -- the father was severely beaten by what she described as a group of Russian athletes as he tried to defend another person from them. The beating left him with medical problems that did not improve with treatment in the United States.

Eventually, with his health failing and having lost a significant amount of weight, the father decided to come back to Dagestan in May 2012. Tamerlan, his oldest son, had just arrived there a couple months earlier.

Anzor Tsarnaev decided to pursue medical treatment, figuring that if he died, he would at least be buried here. The mother eventually joined him in Dagestan a month later.

What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "QUESTION OF THE DAY” comment.

© Copyright 2016, A Quincy Media broadcasting station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.