Bird Nests Causing Rare, Yet Heavy Damage House Fires

By John W. Davis

October 14, 2011 Updated Oct 14, 2011 at 10:14 PM EDT

FISHERS, Ind. (Indiana's NewsCenter) - Two fires on the same street in Fishers since August, have exposed bird nesting on flood lights as a hidden fire hazards.

The roofs of both houses caught on fire and Fishers Firefighters said "bird nests" were to blame.

Officials said the birds are nesting on flood lights and the heat from the lights have caused rare fires.

But those rare fires have caused heavy damages, leaving homeowners to replace major portions of their roofs and attics.

"Most people would never even think about checking around a light like that for a bird's nest," said Fort Wayne Fire Department Captain Dave Meadows.

Officials from the Fishers Fire Department said they only see two solutions... either remove the nest, or if you want to be kind to the birds, don't turn on your flood lights, while the birds are nesting there.

Once they leave, they said it's fair game to remove the nest.

"But those are just some things you can think about and do. It's kinda like sometimes you a nest in a chimney which can cause a fire. Things like that so it's a good idea to have someone come out, at least yearly and inspect your chimneys and heating equipment," Meadows explained.

Meanwhile, Meadows said checking your flood lights and chimneys is not the only step you need to take when it comes to keeping your family safe.

"Lots and lots of smoke alarms in the house," Meadows answered.

"The more you have the better off you're going to be. If something does go wrong, you're gonna have plenty of early warning to get out. Know what to do when they go off, talk about it with your family," Meadows added.


This week is National Fire Safety Week.

On Saturday, the Fort Wayne Fire Department will hold a safety demonstration for families at the Survive Alive & Safety Village at the Northeast Indiana Public Safety Academy at 1275 S. Phoenix Parkway in Fort Wayne.

Tours will begin at noon.

The state of the art live burn demonstration, showing the real-life effects of a house fire, will take place at 2 p.m.

Per Fort Wayne Fire Department Press Release:

On Saturday, October 15, 2011, the Fort Wayne Fire Department will host an open house at the Survive Alive House and Safety Village (1275 S. Phoenix Parkway). Beginning at noon the public is welcome to tour the facility while learning valuable fire safety and prevention tips.

The Survive Alive House is a full-size two-story residential structure situated in a mock town (Safety Village) and is equipped with state of the art special effects to simulate a real house fire. The special effects include flashing strobe lighting to simulate fire burning; a bedroom door equipped with coils inside the door which can heated via pumped in water to simulate a door becoming hot because of fire; sound effects of an actual fire burning and non-toxic "smoke" from a fog machine which permeates a portion of the house. Guests actively engage in this fire prevention program that includes a hands-on approach to fire safety by teaching evacuation procedures and the proper way of calling 911.

Beginning at approximately 2 p.m. the special side by side burn demonstration will dramatically display the valuable life-saving capabilities of residential fire sprinkler systems. The demonstration trailer is equipped with two rooms. One room is equipped with sprinklers, the other is not. Both are set ablaze. Guests see first-hand the speed and destruction of fire, but the outcome is dramatically different in the rooms with sprinklers.

What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "QUESTION OF THE DAY” comment.

© Copyright 2016, A Quincy Media broadcasting station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.