Credit Union Employee Tied Up In Huntington Armed Robbery: Schools Placed In Lockdown

By Mary Collins
By Scott Sarvay
By Nicole Hahn
By Jeff Neumeyer

November 4, 2011 Updated Nov 4, 2011 at 4:10 PM EDT

HUNTINGTON, Ind., (Indiana's NewsCenter) - A holdup becomes a frightening ordeal for a Huntington credit union manager.

Police investigating the Thursday robbery are busy searching for two suspects who made off with thousands in stolen cash.

The Beacon Credit Union branch on Huntington's north side wasn't even open yet, when two thieves swooped in, snatched packs of money, and took off.

Police say a lone female manager showed up about 7:45 a.m. to open the credit union, when two armed men wearing masks came up from behind, forced her inside, and made her take bills from a safe.

The woman says she was then tied up and left in a vault, before the men ran out headed north.

The employee freed herself and called 911.

The crooks did not park their getaway vehicle on the credit union property.

Chief Tom Emely/Huntington Police Department: " We don't have any description of a car, nobody saw anything. We're still reviewing tapes and stuff from the bank, surveillance things, to see what we might be able to pick up from that."

In fact, a bank photo was taken of the suspects, but their faces and hands were covered, so the picture couldn’t help with identification.

Police initially focused the investigation on a cemetery a few hundred yards from the credit union.

K-9 units picked up a scent leading to the cemetery, but they didn't find anything else there.

It’s not clear if the thieves hopped in a car at that point and left the scene.

Anyone with information is urged to call Huntington Police at 260-356-7110 or CrimeStoppers at 260-436-7867

Authorities didn’t release an exact count of how much cash was stolen, but we are told it runs in the thousands of dollars.

The hold-up got the attention of officials with Huntington County Community Schools, who took steps to make sure students stayed inside their buildings following the incident.

A handful of buildings closest to the crime scene, including Huntington North High School, were put in lockdown, but eventually Superintendent Tracey Shafer expanded that encompass all the district’s facilities.

Supt. Tracey Shafer/Huntington Co. Comm. Schools: " Which included securing the physical doors of the buildings, monitoring parking lots and school grounds, bringing in phys Ed and recess students, and keeping them inside today."

Shafer expects school operations in all buildings will return to normal by Friday.

What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "QUESTION OF THE DAY” comment.

© Copyright 2016, A Quincy Media broadcasting station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.