If you've never tried baking a southern-style Hummingbird Cake, are you ever in for a double treat when you make our version of The Ultimate Hummingbird Cake. Our Test Kitchen has created a decadent, creamy filling to sandwich between our special recipe for a moist and golden cake.
Cooking Time: 30 min
• 1 (18.25-ounce) package yellow cake mix
• 1 (4-serving-size) package vanilla instant pudding mix
• 1/2 cup vegetable oil
• 3/4 cup water
• 4 eggs
• 1 ripe banana, mashed
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
• 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
• 1 (16-ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
• 1 (6-ounce) jar red maraschino cherries, well drained and chopped, with 1 tablespoon reserved for garnish
• 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, well drained
• 1 cup chopped pecans, with 2 tablespoons reserved for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 2 (8-inch) round baking pans with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine cake and pudding mixes, oil, water, eggs, banana, and cinnamon. Beat with an electric mixer until thoroughly combined. Pour mixture into prepared pans.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes, then remove to wire rack to cool completely. When cool, slice cakes horizontally in half, making 4 layers.
4. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Stir in whipped topping, cherries, pineapple, and pecans.
5. Place 1 cake layer on platter and evenly spread one-quarter of cream cheese mixture on top. Repeat with remaining cake layers and finish with cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle with reserved cherries and pecans.
What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "QUESTION OF THE DAY” comment.
© Copyright 2016, A Quincy Media broadcasting station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.