What’s the best place for down-home Texas Chicken Fried Steak with Texas River Bottom Gravy? We found traditional recipes for both when we visited Hickory Hollow restaurant in Houston, Texas, and now you can make it at home.
Chilling Time: 30 min
Cooking Time: 15 min
What You'll Need:
• 4 beef cubed steaks (1 to 1-1/4 pounds total), pounded to 1/4-inch thickness
• 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
• 1 cup flour
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• 3/4 cup buttermilk
• 1/2 cup vegetable oil
• 1 1/4 cups milk
• 1/4 cup chicken broth
What To Do:
1. In a large re-sealable bag, marinate cube steaks in Worcestershire sauce 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
2. Place flour, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish. Pour buttermilk into another shallow dish.
3. Dip steaks in flour mixture, coating completely, then in buttermilk and again in flour. Reserve remaining flour mixture.
4. In a large deep skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil until hot but not smoking. Add steaks and cook 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until cooked through and coating is golden. Drain on a paper towel-lined platter and cover to keep warm.
5. To make the gravy, add 1/3 cup of remaining flour mixture to skillet. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until flour is browned, stirring constantly. Whisk in milk and broth, stirring until thickened. Serve gravy over steak.
Recipe courtesy of Hickory Hollow Restaurant, Houston, Texas
Read more at http://www.mrfood.com/Beef/Texas-Chicken-Fried-Steak#kjt8oWe5XXyDeWtL.99
What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "QUESTION OF THE DAY” comment.
© Copyright 2016, A Quincy Media broadcasting station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.