This secret Texas beef chili recipe comes as a special gift to us, direct from the Goode Company Bar-B-Q restaurant in Houston, Texas, where Texas chili is king.
Cooking Time: 1 hr 15 min
What You'll Need:
• 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (see Notes)
• 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
• 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
• 1 1/2 pounds top sirloin beef, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
• 1 1/2 pounds lean pork butt, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
• 1 tablespoon ground cumin
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 1 teaspoon black pepper
• 4 cups beef broth
• 1/3 cup chili powder
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 2 tablespoons masa harina (see Notes)
What To Do:
1. In a soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in beef, pork, cumin, salt, and pepper, and cook an additional 5 to 7 minutes, or until meat is browned.
2. Stir in beef broth, chili powder, and oregano; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer. Add the masa harina; stir well.
3. Cover and continue to simmer over low heat 1 hour, or until meat is fork-tender, stirring occasionally.
Recipe courtesy of Goode Company Bar-B-Q, Houston, Texas
• If you would like a smokier taste, substitute 3 tablespoons bacon drippings for vegetable oil. And you should find masa harina near the cornmeal in your local supermarket; if you'd prefer, you can use fine cornmeal as a substitute.
Read more at http://www.mrfood.com/Chili/Secret-Recipe-Chili#hQE19JIIH2xmFoee.99
What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "QUESTION OF THE DAY” comment.
© Copyright 2014, A Granite Broadcasting Station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.