This comforting old world Old Fashioned Stuffed Cabbage recipe is even easier to prepare now that Howard from our Test Kitchen is sharing a tip to make these a breeze to assemble.
Cooking Time: 1 hr 45 min
What You'll Need:
• 1 large cabbage, cored
• 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, not drained
• 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 1 pound ground beef
• 1 cup cooked rice, cooled
• 1 small onion, chopped
• 1 egg
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
What To Do:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In a large saucepan, bring 1 inch of water to a boil over high heat. Place cabbage in water, cored-side down; cover pan, and reduce heat to low. Steam 20 minutes, or until cabbage leaves pull apart easily. Drain and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes and their juice, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce; mix well and set aside. In a large bowl, combine ground beef, rice, onion, egg, salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons tomato mixture; mix well.
4. Place 1 cup tomato mixture in bottom of prepared baking dish. Peel a cabbage leaf off the head and cut off thick stem. Place 1/4 cup meat mixture in center of leaf. Starting at core end, make a roll, folding over sides and rolling loosely. Place seam-side down in baking dish; repeat with remaining cabbage leaves and meat mixture. Spoon remaining tomato mixture evenly over top of cabbage rolls and cover.
5. Bake 1-1/4 hours. Uncover and cook 10 additional minutes, or until beef is no longer pink.
Test Kitchen Tip
• Instead of steaming the cabbage, an easy way to peel the leaves is to core the cabbage, freeze it overnight, thaw it completely, then peel away...easily!
Read more at http://www.mrfood.com/Beef/Old-Fashioned-Stuffed-Cabbage#DKFlfIUcvDwrp3ir.99
What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "QUESTION OF THE DAY” comment.
© Copyright 2014, A Granite Broadcasting Station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.