You won’t believe how easy it is to turn out this Greek restaurant and festival favorite at home. Our delicious Chicken Gyros topped with traditional cucumber-yogurt sauce can be on your table in no time.
• 1 cup plain yogurt
• 1/2 cup sour cream
• 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chunked
• 1 tablespoon fresh dill
• 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
• 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, divided
• 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 3 (6-inch) pitas, cut in half
• 2 cups sliced romaine lettuce
• 1 large tomato, chopped
1. In a food processor or blender, lightly pulse yogurt, sour cream, cucumber, dill, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper, leaving mixture chunky. Refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Sprinkle chicken with remaining salt, pepper, and the oregano. Add chicken to skillet, and cook 4 to 5 minutes per side, or until no pink remains and juices run clear. Pour remaining lemon juice over chicken about 2 minutes before the end of the cooking time; remove from pan and let cool slightly.
3. Cut chicken into strips. Open each pita pocket and, distributing evenly, fill with lettuce, tomato, and chicken. Top with cucumber sauce, and serve.
What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "QUESTION OF THE DAY” comment.
© Copyright 2016, A Quincy Media broadcasting station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.