This Amish bakery classic has all the hallmarks of homemade goodness, but our Amish Bakery Custard Pie can be made with a flaky-as-can-be store-bought crust, if we're looking for an easy shortcut.
Chilling Time: 7 hr
Cooking Time: 45 min
• 1 (9-inch) baked pie crust*
• 3/4 cup granulated sugar
• 1/4 cup cornstarch
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 2 1/2 cups half-and-half
• 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
• 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• Ground cinnamon for sprinkling
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Whisk in the half-and-half and cook over medium heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove from heat, add butter, brown sugar, and vanilla and stir until butter is melted. Pour into baked pie shell and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon.
4. Bake 35 minutes; center of pie will not be set. Cool pie 1 hour, then refrigerate 6 to 8 hours, or until ready to serve. Pie will set upon chilling. Cover for longer storage.
*Use frozen, refrigerated, or your own homemade pie crust.
What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "QUESTION OF THE DAY” comment.
© Copyright 2014, A Granite Broadcasting Station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.