Date(s) & Time(s)::
Daily from January 30, 2016 until April 13, 2016
Location: Allen, DeKalb, Noble and Steuben Counties
Phone: Residents can call 2-1-1 or 1-877-502-0700
Families or individuals that earn less than $54,000 gross annually qualify for the Free Tax Preparation program (VITA) organized by members of the Financial Stability Partnership. IRS-certified volunteer tax preparers help residents file their taxes and claim available credits. Tax credits may help families get up to a $5,000 refund.
“VITA demonstrates what happens when we work together to tackle community-wide issues, like financial stability,” said David Nicole, president and CEO of United Way of Allen County. “By bringing the people and resources together, we are able to change the lives of our families and the future of our community.”
The Free Tax Preparation program saves residents fees for tax preparation and e-filing. Highly trained, certified volunteer preparers run the program to ensure that individuals receive high quality tax services. To learn more about the Free Tax Preparation program, residents are encouraged to dial 2-1-1 for more information. Free tax preparation is available from January 30 to April 13.
“We are thrilled with the caliber of our volunteers,” said Volunteer Center RSVP’s Executive Director, Jean Joley. “They are the reason our Allen County families are able to benefit from this program.”
In addition to the regularly scheduled times, this year the VITA program will hold two special non-English speaking tax preparation days. The days will take place on March 2 and March 10 at St. Mary’s Catholic Church from Noon to 3 p.m.
St. Mary’s Catholic Church
1101 S. Lafayette St.
Mondays, Tuesdays & Wednesdays, 2 p.m. - 8 p.m. (Doors open at 1:30 p.m.)
Saturdays, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. (Doors open at 8:30 a.m.)
American Red Cross
1212 California Rd.
Saturdays, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
DeKalb, Noble or Steuben Counties
Sites outside of Allen County are by appointment ONLY. Call 260-925-0917 to schedule an appointment.
RSVP - Auburn
107 West 5th Street
Auburn, IN 46706
United Way of Steuben County
317 S. Wayne Street, Suite 3D
Angola, IN 46703
Kendallville Housing Authority (Lamplighter)
240 Angling Road
Kendallville, IN 46755
• Income under $54,000
• Direct deposit or check by mail
• Federal and Indiana income tax
• Electronic filing
What to Bring?
• Picture ID for you and your spouse, if married and filing jointly
• Social Security or ITIN cards and birth dates for you, your spouse, and dependents you are claiming
• W-2, unemployment, and/or 1099 forms for ALL jobs held in 2015
• Any letter or notice you received from the IRS
• A copy of last year’s return
• If direct deposit: savings and/or checking account routing numbers
• Your spouse, if married filing jointly
• Landlord name, address, and amount of rent paid in 2015
• If you paid for child care — documentation listing provider name, address, tax ID# and amount paid
• If you, your spouse, or a child attended college — tuition expense statement (1098T) and/or student loan interest statement (1098E)
• Home interest and property tax paid
• Health Insurance Information for everyone in the household (VERY IMPORTANT)
Individuals with disabilities and active Military and National Guard personnel should call 2-1-1 to make an appointment for tax preparation. Residents can also prepare their taxes online at www.myfreetaxes.com, which prepares both the federal and state returns simultaneously. New this year, On My Way Pre-K applications and information will be available for families at the Allen County sites. Enrollment for On My Way Pre-K is currently open and low-income families are encouraged to apply.
Funding for the program is provided by a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program grant from the IRS and by United Way of Allen County. United Way of Allen County, Volunteer Center RSVP, Brightpoint, American Red Cross, St. Mary's Catholic Church and RSVP- Auburn are active providers of the program with the support of the Financial Stability Partnership.
What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "QUESTION OF THE DAY” comment.
© Copyright 2015, A Granite Broadcasting Station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.